GALVESTON HISTORIC HOMES TOUR
Story by Susie Tommaney | Photos by Illumine Photographic Services, courtesy of Galveston Historical Foundation
The 45th Annual Galveston Historic Homes Tour runs the first two weekends in May with an inside look at eight historic properties, as well as related programming that includes History on Tap dinners, a presentation on Post-Modernist architecture, Mother’s Day breakfast at Menard Hall and the return of Galveston Historical Foundation’s administrative offices to the 1858-59 Hendley Building.
HOMES ON THE TOUR
The 1891 Allan and Lulu Cameron house at 1126 Church is a two-story Victorian designed by English-born architect Henry Collier Cooke of Bourgeois Nitchner & Cooke. Notice the asymmetrical façade with double wraparound galleries, a decorative balustrade and a widow’s walk.
The 1901-1908 Lucas Terrace complex at 1407 Broadway was built by brick mason Thomas Lucas, who used salvaged bricks from his apartment building that had been destroyed by the 1900 Storm. The property features two connected gable-front three-story buildings, while separate servant’s quarters can be found across the courtyard.
The 1873 August Roemer tenant house at 1416 Sealy welcomes guests with a double door entry and transom, turned balusters and square porch columns. This one-and-one-half story Gulf Coast cottage features triple dormers and was built by August Roemer
The 1915 Peter and Augusta Nielson house at 1711 Rosenberg Avenue (25th Street) was inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement. The two-story brick house was built by Danish-born merchant tailor Peter Nielson for his wife, Augusta.
The circa 1881 James and Amelia Byrnes house at 2113 Ball is still in the process of being restored. Two years after it was built, contractor James Byrnes purchased the property and began a series of improvements in 1884, 1885, 1886 and again in 1895. The current owners, who purchased the home in 2013, are in the process of rehabilitating the property.
The 1887 Conrad and Henrike Lenz house at 1807 Avenue L is a one-and-one-half story dormered house with a center hall and side gables. It was built by Conrad Lenz who operated a butcher shop and smokehouse next door.
The 1903 Peter and Anna Serini House at 1810 Avenue N ½ began its story when Canadian immigrant Alexander McLellan moved an old house to this vacant lot. In 1913 the property was purchased by Peter and Anna Serini who later rebuilt the house in 1923, utilizing old material in the process.
The 1922 Iacopo Niccolai Tenant house at 2416 38th Street was originally located on 15th Street. In 1938 Italian immigrant carpenter Iacopo Niccolai moved this five-room bungalow, along with eleven others, to their new location along the 2400 block of 38th Street to be used as rental properties.
May 3 and 10, History on Tap Dinners
May 4, Hendley Row Return
May 4 and 11, Bishop’s Breakfasts
May 5, Post-Modernist Architecture Presentation
May 11, Cajun Music and Crawfish at the H&H Railroad Depot
May 11-12, Plein Air Southwest
May 12, Mother’s Day Breakfast
The Galveston Historic Homes Tour is May 4-5 and May 11-12, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at The Shop at The Palace (Bishop’s Palace, 1402 Broadway), Eighteen Seventy One (2217 Strand) and the Architectural Salvage Warehouse (2228 Broadway), as well as online ($30). For information call 409-765-7834 or visit www.galvestonhistory.org/events/galveston-historic-homes-tour .